It's a tribute to the resiliency of SF's classic Hardkiss Brothers -- and the soul of the SF house music scene -- that, after the devastating loss of musical brother Scott last year, Gavin and Robbie Hardkiss have bounced back with an exuberant tribute to the roots of their legendary collective, new album 1991.
This Fri/20 at Public Works (9pm-3am, $10. 161 Erie, SF), they'll be bringing the Hardkiss family together to celebrate the release of exuberant floor-stomping single "Flowers Blooming" -- a rework of lovely 1980 Change track "Glow of Love." Free download below!
Besides calling to mind the joyful-disco, Luther Vandross-fronted original -- oh man, how I love me some Young and Gay American Luther -- plus the Inner City "Big Fun" sound of the late '80s, and the glowing "Flowers in Your Hair" SF Summer of Love aesthetic, "Flowers Blooming" also slips into a luminous legacy of flora-based raveytime anthems. 1991 indeed.
"In the latest single off the album, 'Flowers Blooming/Glow of Love,' Hardkiss take Change's 1980 classic 'Glow of Love' out for a driving musical journey. First stopping in '90s Detroit before putting the top down and heading straight for the California sunshine. The result is sun-drenched track that is both irresistible and feel good- a must have addition to any summer playlist. Featuring vocals by Robbie Hardkiss, there's enough on the new Hardkiss album to satisfy any dancefloor intent on rising up in celebration."
Most Commented On
- osKHyQslGcOvSWA - July 24, 2014
- GWBcLSahBpZ - July 23, 2014
- I never said I "studied" it (whatever that means) - July 23, 2014
- Justice is a highly subjective notion - July 23, 2014
- Ibeacons - July 23, 2014
- Sounds like a super duper - July 23, 2014
- Please articulate Hamas's - July 23, 2014
- Emma buys the "you can't be racist about whites" line - July 23, 2014
- Again as a journalist when you make a claim you must - July 23, 2014
- He's right though. When you have a mix of commercial and - July 23, 2014